When we first arrived at Caticlan airport in 1996 the runway on this small 7 x 4 km island was barely 500+ meters long. A siren would go-off from the watchtower, so that crossing pedestrians (and cows ….) would know to clear the runway for a small plane. A small outrigger boat with bamboo poles on both sides brought us to tiny Boracay Island. I remember the native style small bamboo and nipa huts lining the water front, local fishermen cleaning their nets and the long stretch of endless palm trees along the beach which at night was at the same time creepy dark and so beautiful as you could see the endless Milky Way in the sky above you.
Much has changed 20+ years later and the island is no longer the tranquil paradise it once was. Boracay’s famous stretch of 7 km long White Beach is hustling & buzzling with energy and night parties in peak periods like Christmas, New Year and Easter. The once spread out local huts have made way for concrete hotels with ample space in between, the darkness replaced by the seemingly always present light. The silence and orchestra of Cicadas chirping (why do they always start and end all at the same time ??…) have made way for music and sound systems.
Change is not all bad, however. It has created a more rounded tourism-friendly experience as seen by the beach front hotels, bars, restaurants and the wide choice of watersports, cultural and fun under the sun activities you can enjoy.
10 cool things you can do in Boracay Island, that keep it so popular among local and international visitors to the Philippines, despite the island’s inevitable change over time:
- Early morning stroll along the long stretch of Boracay’s White Beach and laze the rest of the day away on its powder fine white sand.
- Admire the skills of sandcastle builders and fire dancers
- Try a Stand Up Paddle (SUP) board, or many other offered water activities like e.g. Boracay wakeboarding, parasailing, offroad ATV or luxury yacht sailing. Ask our own Boracay office for assistance at tel nr (+63) (0)917 856 48 21 , located along the main road opposite Metrobank main branch and SPR.
- Relax with friends over some good beach-side food
- Pamper yourself and enjoy a relaxing massage
- Visit a nearby island
Why not book a whole day tour from 10 am till 5 pm to Carabao island including unlimited drinks, lunch buffet on the island, mask/snorkel, 1 hour motorbike ride incl driver, fruits and Sunset cruise. Contact us at email@example.com for reservations or visit our Boracay office
- Watch the romantic sunsets while lounging with a cocktail
- Learn to Scuba Dive
- Shop for local souvenirs
- Enjoy a Boracay Island Hopping Tour
Kindly spare a moment to think about the consequences of your own actions when you travel. Close the water tap, re-cycle your towel, reduce plastics/trash where you can please.
In case you need help with Philippine flights bookings, accommodation, transfers & tours please give a call / e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our actual Boracay office. Our team at Filipino Travel Center would be pleased to assist you. Have a look at the numerous Philippine vacations we offer beside Boracay island packages .
Feel free to share this blog article. Do you have more suggestions on things to do in Boracay ? Happy to hear from you.